Wednesday 25 May 2011

Next Destination!

Whoa. A lot has happened since last time I wrote. But it's still difficult to know where to start... Ok, arriving in Phi Phi is a good place to start I guess! Upon arrival the weather was really nice, and the crystal clear water was truly inviting. But before we did anything we had to find accomodation, which is really a pick and choose game because of the massive amount of hotels and bungalows that existed here. We found one that was the same price as the luxury room we'd stayed in in Phuket - but didn't quite hold the same standard. The lights seemed to live a life of their own and only worked occasionally, while the A/C turned itself off every 10 minutes or so. In the evening we met up with our new found friends Gary and ChloƩ (we met on the bus to Phuket the week before), and went to see a movie at Banana bar where they were showing a movie with Russell Brand in (can't remember the name). Later we went to Slinky's for a big beach party!

Day two we went on a long-tail boat trip to Maya Bay (where they shot the film The Beach with Leonardo DiCaprio), Monkey Beach, and also some snorkeling in beautiful lagoons. Unfourtunately I didn't bring my camera, but I recommend you to search on google for Maya Bay or Monkey Beach, because it was absolutely stunning!

Day three, our last day on Phi Phi. A British diver convinced me to go diving, he said I would not regret it and that it would be the best thing I'd done in Phi Phi. He was right. It was fantastic! For the first dive my instructor gave me some pointers and told me how the equipment worked. When he'd made sure I was on top of everything we went down. The "training" bit took like 10 minutes, great! The instructor was a fairly serious American guy, but he was very clear about all the do's and don't's. For example, he showed me a button that inflates the swimming costume I was wearing, and he said: "If you push this button when under water, you will shoot to the surface and the pressure will cause your lungs to explode. So don't do that". I can tell you, I didn't even look at the bloody thing.
Anyway, I saw loads of cool stuff! Multi-coloured fish, black-tip reef sharks, barracudas, amongst many others. If you haven't done it, I highly recommend you to try it!

Now I'm at the airport in Bangkok, where I have to wait 14 hours for my flight to New York. Bad planning Joel... But who cares, I'm going to New York!!!!

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment