Friday 20 May 2011

In Phuket

We are now in Phuket - quite the opposite from the calm muslim island we just left. I'll get to that in a minute. First I just want to tell you about what we did on our last day in Langkawi. We took a taxi to The Seven Wells waterfall, which is basically what it sounds like. The taxi driver was kind enough to wait there for us to return, without charging anything extra. The waterfall was quite a climb - almost 500 steps in a vertical angle, and when reaching the top I realised that I really should start working out again when I get back. There were loads of little monkeys running about freely, which was awesome. I've got some pictures of them which I'll post later.

Anyway. Phuket is an extraordinary place. We are living in an area called Patong, and our hotel is only 2 minutes from the beach. I say hotel, actually it's a resort. With a pool. And the room we live in is vast. With a balcony. True story. We went to a Tourist information upon arrival, who claimed he could fix us a room in a deluxe resort for 1400 Baht/night (which comes to about 9 euros per person). We thought that there must be a catch, but he said that the hotels are desperate in the low season. We trusted him, and now we are living quite exquisitely. Not really the backpacking experience, but hey. The thing I don't like about the place is the widespread prostitution. There are more "massage parlours" than shops, and when you walk past they shout "Mister! Mister! Massage!". Yesterday they even started pulling my arms and squeezing my buttocks, which was rather intimidating. Tomorrow we're probably heading to one of the nearby islands, Koh Phi Phi, for a day or two.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment