Wednesday 27 July 2011

Barcelona

Jesus, just realised that I've been here almost two weeks and haven't written anything about it yet! It has gone so fast, feels like i just arrived...
This is quite a special part of my trip. I am staying with my lovely second cousin who lives here in Barcelona, which means that I meet quite a lot of local people and not many tourists. For the duration of my travels it has been the opposite, mainly because I've been staying in hostels where usually about 75% of the people there are English, 10% Dutch, 10% Australian, and 5% unidentified weird nationalities. But it is also special because I am doing things that are moving more and more towards a routine; a word that has become foreign to my ears. I'm not only closer geographically to home, but also emotionally and actively. I've started to cook instead of going out to a restaurant, something I haven't done in almost 3 months! And it felt good, eating something home made. You get bored of eating out everyday, and I never thought I would consider that. I almost feel ready to go back home. (having said that, after two weeks at home I'll probably be attempting to kick myself in the face for writing this... travelling is really what it is all about!)

So far here in Barcelona I've done pretty much everything you'd expect someone to do. Been to Sagrada Familia, the big market Mercat de Bouquerias (or something..), MACBA museum (modern art), Parc Guell, strolled around Barri Gotico, etc. Oh and yesterday I found this tiny museum that was all about new inventions. Now, I don't mean useful inventions like the airplane, the telly, or the Star Wars Trilogy. No, what they displayed were clever little things that we actually don't need but can be fun to own, so we can show our friends and waste a few minutes of conversation concerning its use. One thing I actually liked was a handkerchief with the message "My phone is off for you" on it. Apparently, the handkerchief is made out of a type of material that blocks the phone signal (I don't know what kind of material that is, to be honest. Maybe something NASA invented then binned because they realised it wouldn't really change the world...). But is quite a nice little idea. However, most people probably couldn't handle it. Being unreachable. I say, can we just please leave each other alone for five F****** minutes?

Today I am going to the beach to try and save the last bit of tan that I lost in Argentina. I've borrowed a bicycle card, which has been great. Perfect and pleasant way to get around the city!

So long

No comments:

Post a Comment