Friday 5 August 2011

Good Bye

Well my friends and foes, it has now come to an end. As I am writing this (my last piece) I am sitting in a room back in London, with three months abroad behind me. I have returned with mixed feelings; as nice and fantastic it is to travel around, I sometimes miss the comfort and particular lifestyle of being in one place, pottering about and and getting on with your life. Having said that, I am not looking forward to start working again. Actually looking for jobs is quite fun, but when you get to the stage where you have a job, things start to get a bit depressing. And you go out drinking with your friends every weekend to forget reality, and you walk home in the middle of the night wondering why. On that jolly note, I'm just going to recap a little on what I did in my last week in Barcelona.

I had a good last week. It so happened that quite a few of my old friends from Sweden were in Barcelona that week. I could tell you that they were all there to visit me, but that would be a lie. Anyhow, I ended up going out every night till the early hours, walking home everytime because I'm too cheap to take a taxi. On one of these nights, I met a delightful robber. I was walking the streets of Barcelona (completely lost, I might add) at about 5am, when suddenly a fellow sidled up to me. Hola, he said, and then went on to saying something incomprehensible. No hablo Espanyol, I said. Parlez-vous Francais? He asked? Oui, I replied. Then he started a conversation (whilst walking) that went on for about 5-10 minutes, high-fiving me every 45 seconds or so. After some time he told me he was going to demonstrate a football trick, and as he spun around me, I noticed his hand sliding in to my pocket. I grabbed it, and he snatched it out without taking anything. AND THEN, he just kept walking and talking, like nothing had happened! It was extremely awkward. And I, diplomatic and good natured as I am, started asking him some questions to break the ice! It was surreal. Anyway, I was a little worried he was going to try something again, so I thought I must scare him off. So when he asked what I was doing in Barcelona, I said "I'm here with my Juijitsu camp". After that he said good night and left me alone.

So, summing up my experiences. Meeting other travellers has made me realise how much there is to see, when you listen to their exciting stories and adventures. For example I've acquired a taste for South America, and would love to 'do' the continent properly. So this trip has been an "amuse bouche" for me, just a little taster of future adventures to come. Also, I definitely recommend travelling alone, for all of you who haven't. It is a bit daunting at first, but now I really appreciate it. I've learnt so much, especially about myself. I still don't really have a clue who I am, but I'm certainly closer to knowing than I was 3 months ago. I would also like to think that I've matured more during this time. Now, I still enjoy crude jokes and drinking lots of beer, but I mean on a more profound level.
And now awaits the real world, a world where going up at two in the afternoon and drinking and eating out every night is frowned upon. This is where I leave you, together we coexist in this generally grey environment, surrounded by stray dogs and odours of urine. But it is the beautiful moments we strive to live for, and that is where we belong.

So long, and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment