Sunday 17 July 2011

Summing up Buenos Aires

It's been a while since I last wrote - so I'll try to remember what I actually did in my last week in South America... I can begin by telling you the good news regarding the weather that I've been so vigorously damnating all the time; it actually got quite warm in my last week, almost Pleasant. Stick that in your pipe and smoke it. My plans to buy a new sweater diminished to a futile quest and was soon a faded infant of a memory, and I strutted around the city in my sun glasses and thin summer clothes.

I actually did some things in this last week, I don't want you to have the impression that I just sauntered around the city in my flip flops and shades! For example, I went to the Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (Which I would call the National museum of Fine Art, if I wasn't such a pretentious prick). It was a huge two-storey museum with a mixture of Argentinian contemporary art and late 19th century world art. It was very good, and above all, it was free. 
I also went to a tango show, which wasn't free, but very good nonetheless. In addition to that, there was a 3 course meal included plus an unlimited supply of wine. The Tango was very good, they presented it in a way that explained how the dance has changed from as early as the 1920's to present day. At the end they started dragging people up from their chairs to join the tango-ing (is that even a word?), which strangely enough coincided with me having to go to the bathroom.

The last thing I did before leaving BA was very unexpected - I said good-bye to my childhood hero and alter-ego: Harry Potter. I saw the last film on the premiere, and felt a bit sad at the end. Not only because of the cringingly shit ending, with Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint's insomnia-like make-up to make them look like adults, but also because it's the end of an era. I followed Harry and his endless battles against The Dark Lord, who failed to kill a kid, his chubby ginger friend, and a girl. Never again will I read those books, which have been such a big part of my childhood. Maybe it is a good thing. Time to grow up.

Until next time, Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment