Wednesday 6 July 2011

Buenos Aires

I have now spent one week here in Buenos Aires, and although I'm having a cracking time there is one thing that slightly spoils the fun: the weather. I suppose it was my fault for doing so little research before my arrival, but I thought South America never really gets cold. I mean, I'm from Sweden, these people don't know what cold is. But as I was sitting on the 3 hour flight from Rio the captain made an announcement, which was the following: "Ladies and Gentlemen, we are now beginning our descent in to Buenos Aires, where the weather is nice and clear with a temperature of 7 degrees Celsius". Christ, I thought, that is like an average English winter! So, it has been a cold week. I've been trying to find something warm to buy, but so far there has been no luck on that subject. I'm going to move on now, too much time is spent talking about the weather!
Buenos Aires is different to Rio in the sense that the sightseeing is cerebrated on strolling around in the different areas of town, where as in Rio it was more substantial. One thing I have seen however, is the magnificient grave yard where Evita Peron is buried. I have never seen anything like it before; every "grave" was like a small house, and they were lined up with small streets running parallel to eachother. It was literally like a small city. I will upload photos later.

I have also been to an area called La Boca, which is a quite poor area but looks nice because of the brightly coloured houses. A ate a nice barbequed lunch there too!
I have to say that the main attraction here is the food. Or, more precisely, the meat. I went to a famous restaurant called La Cabrera with a group of people the other night, and it was one of the best steaks I've ever had. 400 grams of red tasty meat, served with loads of different sauces. A side order of French Fries was unnecessary, the meat alone is enough. It was so good, I returned the next day!

The nightlife is very good too, there is a very wide selection of night clubs and bars that the hostel I'm staying at helps you to plough through.

Good Bye, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment