Sunday 19 June 2011

Rio de Janeiro

 I've been in Rio for almost 10 days now, and I'm thoroughly enjoying it! What have I done so far? Well, I try to mix the cultural visits with pure relaxation - and since I've got so much time here it's possible! Culture-wise, I've done Christ the Redeemer (a magnificient statue of Jesus, if you didn't already know that), the Botanical Gardens (which host more than 6000 different species, including 600 varieties of palm trees and 140 different kind of birds. I also saw loads of monkeys, and I will upload the pictures at a later date!). I have also been in the old area called Santa Teresa, where you take a tiny tram that takes you over the Lapa aqueduct and through the narrow streets of Santa Teresa. Amazing! I have also had time to go to the beach when the weather is nice and sunny, sun bathing and talking to new friends or simply reading a book. Today I am going to a football game between Flamengo and Botafogo that the hostel has organised for us guests, and I reckon it's going to be quite an experience!

Last friday I went to a street party in Lapa, which felt quite surreal since a whole area in the middle of town had been closed off to make way for young people to drink and eat in the street. It was fun, but completely packed with people! So you didn't want to lose the people you'd come with, because the chance of finding them again would be diminishingly small.
Last Sunday there was this favela party - basically a night club situated in a favela. It was a cool experience; unlike an ordinary night club everybody was dancing samba, and you bought your caipirinha from small stalls for £1.

I really enjoy Rio so far. I might go away for a few days next week to small town 3 hours north, called Buzios. I've heard it's like a paradise, and if I go to hell when I die I would just like to get a taste of heaven first.

But for now, I bid you farewell

No comments:

Post a Comment