Sunday 26 June 2011

Magic in Rio

Time flies my friends, time flies. With only 5 days left in Rio I feel like I've done almost everything, but it also feels like I just arrived. Since I last wrote I've been up to quite alot. As I said in my previous post, I was going to go to Búzios. I asked the reception in my hostel if they could take 2 nights out of my reservation, and then book me in again for friday when I would return from Búzios.That was all fine, they said. When I had packed the following morning and carried my bag down to the reception to check out, there was another receptionist there. Where are you going? she asked. Búzios, I said. I'll be back on friday. Friday? That's going to be a problem. Apparently it was some Brazilian holiday this weekend, and therefore the system couldn't accept any check-ins on friday or saturday. (Weird, but that seemed to be the case anyway). Slightly annoyed, I said well whatever, I'll find somewhere else to stay. This was proven to be very difficult, everywhere is full during the holiday. But it sorted itself out in the end, I just stayed in another hostel in Ipanema. Trying to find the bus station to go to Búzios was bloody difficult. The people in Brazil don't speak any English. And I mean no English at all. I asked a police man: Bus station? He didn't understand a word. Got there in the end though, and it was very beautiful. I stayed at a hostel that was just on the beach, you could literary just walk out the door onto the sandy beach. It was very expensive though; I was going out with a few people I met there, and the entrance fee of a club was 120 Reais (which is about 50 euros).

Back in Rio I've been up Sugar Loaf Mountain, where you can see the entire city. Went up just before sunset, and it was truly fantastic. I'll upload some photos in the end of this coming week. I also went to the Modern Art Museum; I was really looking forward to it because I had heard that they had a great photo exhibition, but   when I arrived there they had taken it off. The rest of the exhibition was all right, some things were a little too abstract; I find it a bit annoying when someone presents a piece of metal and calls in art. But there were some good stuff by Miró and Picasso, as well as contemporary brazilian artists.

The best thing about travelling alone is that you meet loads of new people, but it also means that you can choose to just be on your own for a day if you feel like it, and then in the evening go out with a bunch of people. It's very good for the creativity as well. I written quite a bit of music and the work on my book is developing nicely. All is good!


No comments:

Post a Comment